Babies and swimming
After the birth of a baby, many parents wonder what is the ideal time to introduce the little ones into the world of swimming. It is important that they know how to defend themselves in the aquatic environment and develop skills such as psychomotor skills, their ability to react, etc. In addition, the summer is perfect for them to enjoy this sport while fighting the heat splashing in the pool.
But the question is … is it really necessary for a baby to learn to swim from so small? First, it must be said that, of course, a child will not learn to swim until he is 3 or 4 years old. What you practice before will be nothing more than carrying out games or exercises that will stimulate you and show you how much fun it can be, and at the same time know the dangers they can have by helping you to detect your limits.
If a child does not start from baby with these games in the pool, absolutely nothing happens. But we will say that those who have grown up knowing this medium and developing well from such small, know what it is to move in the water without fear, although they are more prudent because they have acquired some standards throughout their learning.
A child who for the first time enters a pool needs to go through several stages while learning to swim. In this way, before performing his first strokes, he will have to adapt to the new medium, then learn to react, and then he will be able to move nimbly in the water. After going through all these phases and when you manage easily, you will be ready to swim.
- Improvement of the respiratory system, strengthening the lungs.
- Improvement of the cardiocirculatory system, strengthening the heart and promoting blood circulation by adopting horizontal posture.
- Improvement of the immune system.
- Greater psychomotor development, improving coordination and strengthening muscles.
- Improves body posture and develops flexibility.
- It helps babies to relax, avoiding states of anxiety and promoting rest, in addition to increasing the safety of children.
- Prepares the child for an active lifestyle, avoiding many of the problems of sedentary lifestyle, such as overweight.
Recommendations before starting your baby in swimming
- Consult with the pediatrician the decision to go with your baby to maternity classes
- Once your pediatrician has given you the approval, gradually reduce the temperature of the bathroom until you reach 34 ºC, so that when you reach the pool, the child does not notice a sudden change in temperature.
- Try to transmit safety while you are bathing.
- Choose a swimming pool that meets all safety and hygiene requirements for baby classes, such as chlorine level, temperature, that teachers are qualified professionals, etc.
There is no doubt that starting your baby in this sport will be a success and both you and him will thank you and have a great time at the pool 🙂